Former Knights are men who are familiar with the ideals of Columbianism. They left the Order at one time but represent a pool of prospects councils should not overlook in striving for membership growth.
· Appoint a special “Welcome Back Brother” or “Operation Re-Member” committee specifically to recruit former members. Past grand knights familiar with circumstances of earlier departures are especially suited.
· Obtain a list of “Former Members” (those who took withdrawals/suspensions) and “Inactive Insurance Members” (those who took withdrawals/suspensions but maintain K of C insurance policies) from the Department of Fraternal Services. Check with your financial secretary for additional names and most recent addresses.
· Review the list to determine former members known to be residing in the area and still eligible for membership.
· Prepare information for a presentation for former members highlighting changes, new programs/activities/benefits and recent council achievements.
· Order “As Knights we not only act on faith…” flyer (#4497), “Our Future Knights…” flyer (#9116), “The Potential of a Man…” flyer (#4496), “What this organization stands for…” booklet (#4495), Family Fraternal Benefits flyer (#2761), Member/Spouse Fraternal Benefits flyer (#2773), etc., from the Supply Department. Prepare kits of these materials for distribution.
· Contact each former member by phone to arrange a personal visit or invite them to a reception for former members.
· If conducting personal visits, follow the procedure outlined on the “Using 2-on-1 Team Concept” page for recruitment teams, tailoring presentation to highlight new changes/benefits, etc.
· If planning a “Welcome Back” or former-member reception, use the open house procedures. Be sure to invite your council chaplain and insurance agent to speak at the event.
· Refer to the Grand Knight’s Handbook (#915) Membership Procedures section for proper procedures for recruiting former members.
· Ask every former member visited or those at reception to sign Membership Document (#100) to renew membership.
NOTE: Reactivating inactive insurance members qualifies the council for both membership and insurance additions toward Father McGivney and Founders’ Awards quotas.
NOTE: Reinstatements, readmissions or reapplications qualify the council for membership additions for the Father McGivney Award.